WASHINGTON – National Industrial Hemp Council (NIHC) Board Chair Patrick Atagi, released the following statement after NIHC’s meeting with the Acting USDA Secretary:
“As we continue to lead the industry as the only D.C.-based hemp trade association, we felt it was important to update Acting Secretary Kevin Shea on a number of issues including consumer safety and climate smart agriculture. After today’s meeting, we’re confident that Secretary-designee Vilsack will be fully briefed on the issues facing the hemp industry.
“We urge the U.S. Senate to swiftly confirm Secretary-designee Vilsack’s nomination.”
The NIHC briefed the Acting USDA Secretary on the following issues:
- Product certification and laboratory certification for hemp;
- Delayed enforcement and corrections to specified provisions of the AMS rule on hemp;
- Development of hemp checkoff program;
- Trade protocols, standards and capacity-building for resin, nutritional and fiber hemp;
- Increased R&D to identify competitive resin, nutritional and fiber uses;
- Funding for export supply chain development;
- Encourage FDA guidance on CBD;
- Establishment of a Federal Advisory Committee (FACA) to advise Secretary on hemp issues.
About the National Industrial Hemp Council: The National Industrial Hemp Council provides high-quality networking and resources for its members, from farm to consumer. Its leadership is composed of leading international, federal, state, private industry, and government professionals throughout the sector. The organization is dedicated to furthering market development, assisting members in entering the industry, and educating consumers on industrial hemp and its applications. For more information, please go to www.hempindustrial.com.
# # #